The Academy today announced the call for entries for the 2017 Canadian Screen Awards in the Television and Digital Media categories. Producers are invited to submit their work for consideration through Friday, August 19, 2016 by visiting the Academy website. Film entries will open for submission in mid-September 2016.
In an effort to promote critical thinking around emerging forms of storytelling, the Academy also announced new award categories in the fields of Digital and Immersive Media. The new awards will join existing digital media awards and will be presented at their own standalone night of celebration: the inaugural Canadian Screen Awards Gala Honouring Excellence in Digital and Immersive Storytelling during Canadian Screen Week.
The new awards are:
- Best Immersive Experience: presented to an original, interactive project that enhances user experience through virtual reality, augmented reality, or locative technologies accessible on mobile devices or tethered head-mounted displays
- Social Innovator Award: voted by the public and presented to an individual or media collective pushing the boundaries of social media as a form of digital storytelling
- Best Direction in a Program or Series Produced for Digital Media
- Best Performance by an Actress in a Program or Series Produced for Digital Media
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Program or Series Produced for Digital Media
“The Academy is uniquely positioned to be a thought leader in the discussion of artistry and excellence in the digital space,” noted new Academy CEO, Beth Janson. “I am excited to help Canadians recognize and celebrate the contributions our homegrown talent are making in this space.”
This is the first expansion in digital media awards since the 2014 Canadian Screen Awards. It comes at a time when Canadians are proving themselves to be global trailblazers in the field of interactive media, where storytelling meets technology. Complete rules and regulations for all Television and Digital categories can be found on the Rules and Regulations page of the Academy website.
Canadian Screen Week will take place from March 6 – March 12, 2017.
About the Academy
The Academy of Canadian Cinema & Television is a national, non-profit, professional association dedicated to the promotion, recognition and celebration of exceptional achievements in Canadian film, television and digital media. Unifying industry professionals across Canada, the Academy is a vital force representing all screen-based industries.
About Canadian Screen Week and the Canadian Screen Awards
Canadian Screen Week celebrates excellence in media through a multi-platform, national program of events and celebrations culminating in the Canadian Screen Awards Broadcast Gala carried live on CBC, Sunday March 12th, 2017 at 8 pm (8:30 NT; 9 pm AT)